Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Kitchen Cravings

I tend to punctuate trying or joyous times in my life with food.

After graduate school, when I wasn’t pounding the pavement for a job I was baking bread. My passion for bread baking nearly derailed my budding journalism career. On one particularly depressing Valentine’s Day more than a decade ago, I took a truffle-making class and have since parlayed that therapeutic three hours into a happy holiday tradition. And every promotion or professional accolade that I’ve been fortunate enough to receive has been celebrated by me whipping something up in the kitchen.

Now that I’m freelancing at home and inching toward becoming a published author with what can only be described as hold-your-breath hope, my schedule and professional commitments have changed. Translation: I can cook pretty much whenever I want.

Case in point: Yesterday I made lentils and spaghetti sauce…because it was Monday. Today I’m going to make a flourless chocolate cake…because it’s raining. You see, I don’t need a milestone or annoying event to coax me into the kitchen these days. In fact, I might make a spice cake right now.

Why? It’s 9:30.

2 comments:

  1. SInce my kitchen is also my living room, library and den, I can read a book, watch tv, whip up some brownies and open and close the oven without ever leaving my seat. You'd think I'd cook more! And because it's raining...I think I will. Thanks for the inspiration. Now, if you would only share your secret to staying so damn skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flattery will get you everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete